I had some rice leftover from dinner the other day, and I didn’t want it to go to waste. But, I didn’t really fancy just having the rice as it was as a side dish, nor did I feel like making fried rice.
So, I got my hands on some kale and broccoli, chucked it in a wok with red onion, garlic, and lemon, and got it cooking.
Guys. I don’t know how to tell you this, but oh my god. For such basic ingredients, this was so delicious. It completely took me by surprise, how tasty it was.
I always know that certain flavour combinations are going to taste nice, but I never expected it to taste as good as it did. I was really happily surprised.
I had the rice with a spice-rubbed chicken breast, but honestly, you could have it with anything – or even by itself. Just increase the number of veggies you add, to make a much more filling meal.
1 1/2 cups rice, cooked
3 broccoli florets, chopped
150 grams kale
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons groundnut oil
- Add a tablespoon of the oil to a large frying pan or wok, over a medium heat.
- Toss the kale in the wok with the oil, for 2 minutes, then add the onion. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, then add the broccoli.
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper, and add the remaining oil.
- Stir-fry for 5 minutes, until the broccoli starts to soften.
- Add the garlic, rice and lemon juice, and additional seasoning if needed.
- Stir-fry for an additional 8 – 10 minutes, until broccoli is just starting to brown.
- Serve hot.