My final GBBO-inspired bake comes in the form of a chocolate cake. While the bakers had to make a chocolate layer cake, I opted out of the layers in order to bring this delicious, moist, secretly vegan chocolate cake.
This cake came about after someone asked me if I could make a dairy free cake for a birthday. I’d only made one dairy-free cake before, over the summer, so I had to tweak this a few times before it baked perfectly and tasted truly of orange and chocolate.
The lack of dairy in this cake means it comes together quite quickly – no need to bring any ingredients to room temperature! I would highly recommend using a good quality olive oil, although you won’t really be able to taste it once the cake is baked.
I know some of you may be disappointed that I didn’t create an exclusive GBBO bake, as I had been working on it prior to the GBBO final, but trust me when I say that you won’t be disappointed once you make it.
When life gives you oranges, make chocolate cake. That’s the saying, right?
125 ml good quality olive oil
185 grams plain flour
80 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
250 grams caster sugar
250 ml water
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
100 grams 80% dark chocolate
3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Zest three of the oranges, and place the zest in a shallow bowl with the olive oil. Allow to infuse for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 30cm springform tin with olive oil.
- Juice the three oranges. Remove three tablespoons of orange juice and set it aside in a separate bowl for the glaze. You should have about 120 mls left for the cake batter.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the olive oil and orange zest, 120 ml of orange juice, water and vinegar. Whisk until well incorporated and smooth.
- Pour the batter into your greased springform tin, and bake for 40 – 45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the cake from the oven. Allow to cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then remove and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make the glaze. Add chocolate and coconut oil to a saucepan and melt gently, stirring to combine. Add the remaining orange juice. Zest a 4th orange and stir the zest through the glaze.
- Zest the last orange.
- When the cake is cool, pour the glaze all over the cake smoothing it all over to ensure an even coating. Sprinkle the remaining orange zest over the cake.
- Allow the glaze to cool, then enjoy.