On the seventh day of Christmas, Jena’s Tiny Kitchen gave to you, Italian Crescent Cookies, Booze-free Brandy Snaps, Florentines, Coconut Macaroons, Peppermint Pinwheels, Rice Krispie Treats and Snickerdoodle cookies.
If you’ve never had these cookies before, they are chewy but soft and melt-in-your-mouth delectable. They are extremely fragile when first out of the oven, so make sure you are careful with them. Once they have cooled completely, they are a bit more robust, so they are easier to store.
Please forgive my crescent-making skills. I made them as crescent-shaped as I could, which means they all looked different. But, ultimately, does it really matter? They bake up crescent-like enough, and they taste great. They’re quite light, and would go very well with a cup of tea or coffee.
I made this cookies gluten-free, as I wanted to hand them to a friend as a gift, but you don’t have to at all.
I really hope you’ve been enjoying the Twelve Cookies of Christmas so far, and as we head into the final 5 cookies of this stretch, I hope you’ll stick with me and look forward to the rest of the cookies.
227 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
150 grams caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
110 grams ground almonds
280 grams gluten free 1-for-1 flour (or plain flour)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a free-standing mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until fluffy. Add the sugar and salt, then continue beating until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the almonds and flour to the mixture and mix on low. As the dough starts to come together, turn off your mixer and bring the mixture together with your fingers. It should be crumbly, but hold its shape when you clump it together.
- Break off dough in 20 gram pieces and shape it into a crescent. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 15 – 17 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Allow to cook on the baking sheet for 3 – 4 minutes, then carefully move onto a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar while still warm.
- Repeat with the remaining cookie dough.