I’ve been eating a lot of chicken, mainly due to the fact that it’s a very diverse source of protein, and not expensive to get hold of. In this time of panic-buying shoppers who seem intent on clearing out the shelves of everything every day, I’ve been looking to try and use things I have in the house.
This chilli is a great way to use items you may already have in the cupboards, and you can substitute the Great Northern Beans for cannellini beans if you like. I’d never even heard of Great Northern Beans prior to researching different ways to make this dish. But low and behold, I found them in my local supermarket.
You can add as many chillies as you want to this dish, depending on how spicy you like your food. You can also top with jalapenos when serving if you so wish.
You can also cook this dish in a slow cooker. Just saute the onions and garlic with the spices as described below. Then transfer all ingredients (except Greek yoghurt, lime juice and avocado) to the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours, or low for 7 hours. Once done, repeat the same steps below for shredding chicken, adding yoghurt and lime juice and serving.
4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
1 medium onion, finely diced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
pepper, to taste
400 ml low-sodium chicken broth
150 ml water
2 x 300g cans Great Northern Beans (or other white beans), rinsed and drained
200 grams sweet corn
4 small green chillies, diced
150 grams Greek yoghurt
juice of 1 lime
2 avocados (half per serving)
- Place a dutch oven over medium heat on the hob, and add the olive oil. Make sure the oil coats the entire bottom of the pot. Once hot, add the onions and garlic and saute for a few minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the spices (cumin, chilli powder, cayenne, oregano, salt and pepper) and stir through the onions for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and water. In a small bowl, place 200 grams of the beans, and mash with a fork. Add the mashed, and whole beans to the pot, along with the corn, chillies and chicken. Bring to the boil.
- Cover, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove the chicken breasts, and shred them on a chopping board using two forks (or meat claws). Return the chicken to the pot, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, stir through the Greek yoghurt and lime juice.
- Serve hot with avocado, jalapenos, and tortilla chips (if you so wish).