I love tacos. I really do. Especially when they are an exciting combination of flavours and are made with delicious, fresh ingredients.
I know it might be hard to find some of these ingredients at the moment, given the global pandemic, but if you can, then believe me you should give these salmon tacos a shot.
And if you can’t make these right now, add this recipe to a list of things you will make when you can get hold of the ingredients. I was quite excited to find corn tortillas at a shop near me. It’s most often flour tortillas that are available here. You can, obviously, use flour tortillas if you so wish, but I personally think the corn tortillas add an extra element to the dish.
The amounts given in the recipe below are enough for 2 people (2 tacos each), but you can make it work for 2 meals (like I did) or increase the amounts for a larger group of people. Clearly, I only cook for myself, and so didn’t feel the need to make a larger amount.
The stars of these tacos are really the crema and the mango salsa, so make sure you get super fresh avocado and mangoes. And trust me with all of the lime juice additions. It elevates the condiments.
400 grams salmon, cubed
1 tsp piri piri
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 mango, peeled, de-seeded, cubed
1/2 red onion, diced
2 stalks spring onions, finely chopped
1 avocado, roughly chopped
juice of 1 lime
50 grams Greek yoghurt
1 tsp sriracha
1 tsp lime juice
4 corn tortillas
1 lime, quartered
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Wrap the tortillas in tin foil, and place in the oven to heat up.
- Season the cubed salmon with the piri piri and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Combine the mango, red onion, spring onion and avocado in a bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over the mixture, and stir through. Cover and set aside until time to serve.
- To make the crema, combine the yoghurt, sriracha and 1 tsp of lime juice until thoroughly mixed through. Set aside until time to serve.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or skillet over a medium-low heat, then add the salmon. Cook the salmon for 5 – 6 minutes. Try to stir as little as possible to reduce the amount of salmon that flakes off the cubes.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven, and place on serving plate.
- Serve salmon and tortillas hot, alongside mango salsa, crema and slices of lime.
One Comment Add yours
I bet these are delicious!