It’s always good to have an arsenal of recipes up your sleeve for days when you just need to do some baking (or cooking), because there’s a typhoon outside, or the weather is horrible, or you just need a stress release.
Cookies are super quick to make, the batter takes minutes, and then they only take 10 minutes (maybe 15) in the oven. Plus, they taste great warm!
I’ve baked a few cookies in my time, and I like to experiment with what chocolate I use, or what I add to the batter. But, something I’ve always loved are M&M cookies. They’re usually quite light, and crisp on the outside but deliciously chewy on the inside.
Everyone knows I have a sweet tooth. It’s my biggest downfall. But I can’t help it, there are just so many delicious things that need to be baked and eaten. Luckily, I’m smart enough to take things in to work so that everyone else can eat them (instead of eating them all to myself).
So, have a go at these cookies when you feel the need for something quick, easy, and delicious.
2 cups plain flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
150 grams M&Ms
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cornstarch.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, on a medium speed.
- Turn the speed on your mixer to low, and add the egg and vanilla. Then, increase the speed back up to medium and continue to beat until well combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour mixture to the butter and sugar, gradually, until a batter forms. Make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Stir in the M&Ms, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, then line a baking tray with baking paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Form balls of approximately one tablespoon in size from the batter, and place on the baking tray with space for the cookies to expand.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until just golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before placing them on a wire rack to cool completely.