It’s been a while since I used my slow cooker, and as the weather starts to cool, it’s definitely going to get more use – who doesn’t love chilli in cooler weather?!
I’ve never made short ribs before, I’ve had them plenty at barbecues and out at dinner. Hell, a friend even made short rib ragu using her Instant Pot. But I’ve never cooked them. Not going to lie, I’ve always thought that any kind of rib could do with a good lathering of BBQ sauce. Now ,you know that I love me some BBQ sauce. Whenever I whip up a batch, I use the recipe from here.
The other day I realised I was out, and needed to make some more. But, before I did, I wanted something to make them for. So I popped down to a shop that sells some good quality meat, and found some short ribs (they were frozen, but they didn’t take long to thaw). Now these short ribs were cut thin, so that the bones were running through them in chunks, not as a full rib. But, I’m sure a full short rib would work just the same.
I’ve been (still) trying to clear the freezer, and found that I had a whole pack of wholewheat tortilla wraps in there… so time to use them up. Along with some avocado and chilli jam, and voila. BBQ short rib wrap. I was in food heaven. And when I gave my colleagues a bite of the short rib at work, they were just as happy with it.
It takes time, but very little of the cooking is hands on. Make sure you have plenty of time (2 days, really) before you want to eat it.
500 grams short rib (8 – 10 slabs of short rib)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup water
1 cup BBQ sauce
- Mix the spices together, including the salt and pepper, in a small bowl. Rub all over the ribs, cover, and place in the fridge over night.
- Peel and quarter the onion. Place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the ribs over the onion, then pour over the water.
- Cook on high for 5 hours.
- When the ribs are cooked, place them onto a baking tray with (reusable) aluminium foil.
- Turn your oven to grill/broil.
- Brush both sides of the ribs with BBQ sauce, and place under the grill for 3 minutes. Remove, flip, and cook the other side.
- When the ribs are cooked, remove them from the bone and enjoy in a tortilla wrap with avocado and chilli jam, or in a burger bun with more BBQ sauce.