The one thing I always remember about supermarkets in the US is the sugar cookies. Every bakery section within a supermarket, big or small, had a box of frosted sugar cookies. The dessert-fiend inside me loved it. Even if we didn’t buy any, I loved (and still love) perusing the bakery sections of US supermarkets. The variety of what’s there is amazing. The size of some of the baked goods on offer is astounding. And everything just smells so damn good.
I know that there is a debate about the obsession with sugar cookies. Some people think they taste of nothing, others will do anything for them. Personally, I love that they are soft and crumbly, while also being cake-like, and the frosting always has to be spot on.
These cookies will probably divide people, because they are not super packed with lemon flavour, but have just enough to give you a nice little zing. They are definitely more cake-like/cupcake-like than a regular cookie/biscuit, but I think they taste divine, and that is ultimately the reason that I make all the food for this blog. Because I want to eat it.
I mean, why else would I start a food blog other than as an excuse to make and eat lots of different food?! Why else does anyone start a food blog, really?
And with that in mind, I’d like to remind everyone that I do not eat all of these cookies by myself. They are all, in fact, sitting in tupperware at work, and will slowly (or quickly, depending on the mood of the office) be devoured before the week is out. Also, don’t mind the swirly glaze, that’s just me trying to hide the fact that the glaze was a bit smudged during transport.
90 grams butter, at room temperature
160 grams caster sugar
1 large egg
156 grams sour cream
1 tablespoon lemon extract
265 grams plain flour
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
For the glaze
63 grams icing sugar
75 grams sour cream
1 tablespoon lemon extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together on a medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, sour cream and lemon extract. Beat until well incorporated.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix until just combined.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop cookie dough onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake the cookies until the edges just start to brown, about 9 – 10 minutes depending on the size of the cookies.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once the cookies are completely cool, mix the sour cream, icing sugar and lemon extract in a small bowl.
- Dip the tops of each cookie into the glaze, and allow to set slightly before dipping a second time.